Birmingham School of Law has been graduating some of the finest lawyers for almost 100
years. Judge Hugh A. Locke founded BSL in 1915. The first years classes were held in
Locke's office, First Methodist Church, and Birmingham College, where Locke was a trustee. Later the school met at the 20th Street YMCA.
During the Great Depression, classes were moved to the Jefferson County Courthouse, where the
school operated until May 1996, when the school moved to the
Frank Nelson Building at 205 20th
Street North in downtown Birmingham. In 2014 BLS brought and renovated the J.F. Oates building.
The building will be renamed the Hugh A. Locke Building.
- Clarence Allgood, United States District Court Judge
- Kim Chaney, Cullman County District Judge
- David Cromwell Johnson, attorney
- Bernard Kincaid, 1994, Mayor of Birmingham
- James Martin, U. S. Representative
- Charles McCrary, 1978, Alabama Power CEO
- Neal Morrison, Alabama States Representative
- John Robinson, Alabama States Representative
- Mike Rogers, U. S. Representative
- John R. Taylor, Author, publisher, and business man
- Richard Shelby, U. S. Senator
- Alexander Shunnarah, attorney
- Lanny Vines, attorney
- Jabo Waggoner, Alabama State Senator